Monday, October 25, 2010

New Orleans, Day 1

I am not a journal person.  I don’t like writing my thoughts down, but I have also been *blessed* with a rotten memory.  In order to remember this vacation as well as I’d like to, I’m going to take a little time each day to write down what I’ve experienced in the “Armpit of America,” as I’ve heard it called. J

Day 1 of my trip started out like any other school day.  It was a Thursday, the last day of school before Fall Break.  I actually made the kids work (I know, I’m the world’s worst teacher in the world!) because it not only makes the time go by faster for them, but me as well.  At the end of the day, I rushed home, changed clothes, rinsed out my lunch dishes, grabbed my suitcase and carry-on, and headed out the door (hugging and kissing the cats as I went).  With a quick stop at the bank and post office, I was on the way to the Evansville Airport.  I got there and parked and was blessed to have an airport shuttle pull up near me.  A nice, elderly man drove me right up to the airport doors.  I wasn’t sure whether to tip him or not, so I gave him all my spare change, as I had few ones and wasn’t sure what all I’d need them for.  I got checked in, which was an adventure in itself:  My Delta credit card is still in my married name (yes, a gross oversight on my part, since I haven’t used the card in the year and a half I’ve been back to my maiden name).  However, TSA rules say that my ticket (married name) must match my government-issued ID (maiden name).  Luckily, my dad told me I should carry my divorce decree with me, just in case.  Boy oh boy, I could’ve kissed my dad right then and there for that advice!  I needed it twice before I got to my departure terminal at Evansville, and I’d need it just as many times for my flight home from New Orleans.
The flights themselves were fairly uneventful.  At Evansville, there was a little mix-up: two men had been assigned the same seat number.  It took a few minutes to straighten out, delaying our flight slightly (which for me was ok-my connecting flight in Memphis didn’t leave for a few hours). After landing in Memphis (Facebook post ♪♫ Walking in Memphis ♪♫), I had some excellent BBQ Nachos before boarding the plane to New Orleans.  On the flight, I sat in front of a LOUD, OPINIONATED woman.  She was being extra-helpful to the couple sitting next to her.  Apparently, it was their first trip to N.O. and she was a native.  Fortunately, I picked up several restaurant recommendations from her!  The woman next to me had a Saints Superbowl Champs shirt on, and she and I chatted for just a few minutes (remember, I’m not supposed to talk to strangers!).  My biggest thrill was looking out the window (I was in a middle seat, but could still see out) at what I guessed was Lake Pontchartrain.  It was totally black.  For quite awhile all I could see was black, then I could see the bridge where the cars can drive (or rather, I could see the lights of the cars driving on the bridge).  Awesome!!  I hope I get to sneak a peak of it in the daylight!
When the flight landed, my luggage came quickly (thank you, God) and I found a taxi that soon had me speeding toward the Hilton Riverside hotel.  I don’t think I breathed, blinked, or shut my gaping-open mouth the entire ride!  The first thing I noticed was a palm tree.  Those of you who know me best, that’s the first thing I look for when I travel to Florida.  To me, that’s a symbol of vacation, relaxation, and tropical paradise.  Ahhhh.  As we sped along, I saw many stores I’d see at home (Michael’s, Best Buy, etc.).  Soon we were getting to the business district, and I could see taller buildings that reminded me of Nashville, TN.  Then, I saw it.  The whole reason I came here on Fall Break: The Louisiana Superdome.  To anyone else, it probably would look like a big, round building with no interesting features.  To me, it meant the SAINTS!!  Not long after we passed the Superdome, we were on the riverfront at my hotel.  I’m not a nightlife person, but the lights, music, and warm weather invited me to stay outside and enjoy.  However, the thought of stretching out on my bed, taking a hot bath, and having a nice hot cup of decaf tea was more enticing, so I headed inside the hotel.  It took awhile to get checked in (apparently I wasn’t the only later flight), and by the time I got to my room, it was after eleven at home, ten here.  I’m an early-to-bed, late-to-rise kind of girl, but I did get that bath, get connected to the internet (Facebook: ♪♫ When the Saints Go Marchin’ In ♪♫), fixed the tea, and watched a little HGTV on the HUGE, flat-screen TV.  Tomorrow I have my bus tour of the Hurricane Katrina devastation and a walking ghost tour in the evening.  Adios! J

No comments:

Post a Comment