Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day

I was VERY proud of my students today.  In our school, the 5th grade students take charge of the Veterans Day program.  Our wonderful music teacher, Melissa, taught them some songs and my coworkers found and put together slides for a patriotic slideshow.  I stayed out of the limelight on this one as I am not all that creative and do well enough to get my kids lined up and to practices/performances on time. :)

Anyway...all four 5th grade classes did a very nice job singing during the performance.  They were quiet and respectful during the Veterans' part in the ceremony, and they did a great job getting to and from the performance in a quiet, orderly manner.  A few of my students were chosen to be in the Singing Indians group (kind of like the Swing Choir at the high school) and they did a wonderful job as well.  The performance was short, as the Veterans had many more programs to attend today, but amazingly meaningful.  I asked my students, after the performance, how many of them had someone in their family who was a Veteran.  Most raised their hands.  Next I asked if they knew someone who was a Veteran.  All raised their hands. One of my students has an uncle who recently returned from the Middle East and that student has shared many stories about his uncle.  I hope my students know what it means to give up your time, family, and your life for our country. 

No comments:

Post a Comment