Sunday, July 31, 2011

Florida Day 3 July 30, 2011

Day 3 started extremely early for me (5:00am), but not as early as Day 4 will (4:00am).  Reason for today’s early start?  I wanted to catch the sunrise that I missed yesterday.  And boy was it worth it!!  I first set my alarm for 5:00 because I had no idea what time sunrise was.  I didn’t leave my hotel room until about 5:50 or so.  I took my breakfast and tea with me and had it while I was waiting for the sun to fully rise.  I wasn’t the only one on the beach, and with each minute more and more people came to appreciate God’s miracle of a sunrise on the ocean.  I looked for some shells while I was waiting and waded in the water.  I saw some interesting wildlife: seagulls, crabs, and a jellyfish.  I also saw some boats & picked up some shells.  Today was my last morning at the beach….

Sunrise on Cocoa Beach
After the awesome sunrise, I went back to the hotel room & packed up.  I noticed my laptop wasn’t fully charged, so while it was doing that I ate breakfast at IHOP.  Then, I headed myself out on the open road toward one of the outlet malls.  I know traveling alone must seem like such a sad & boring thing to you, but let me tell you my Top Five Reasons for Traveling Alone (in no particular order):

  1. 1.     You don’t have to fight with anyone over the music selection in the car.
  2. 2.     No one is in the hotel bathroom when you really need to go.
  3. 3.     You can go where YOU want, WHEN you want
  4. 4.     If you decide to backtrack, no one groans but you.
  5.  5.      Cheaper meals.  Need I say more?


There are other reasons, of course.  Those are just the ones that come to mind.  The outlet mall I visited is across the road from Universal Studios.  I’ve been to a few outlet malls before, but none as big as this one.  Fortunately, all the stores I wanted to shop in were located pretty close together: Fossil, Gap Outlet, Disney.  I got my brother’s Christmas all taken care of for this year (and no, I didn’t buy him things at any of the above stores).  J 

Next, I went to Universal Studios.  I’d been there before, so I knew where to eat and what to see.  First, I went to CityWalk.  They have a Fossil store there too, and some other neat stores.  Then I made my way to the Universal Studios section since it was the section that had the least interesting stuff to me (always leave the interesting stuff for last).  I had lunch at Lombard’s Landing, which serves great seafood.  They have a very neat restaurant, and I was starting to get overheated again.  In fact, the waitress gave me a to-go cup full of water (bless her heart). As I left Universal Studios, I even caught the attention of a nice worker named Joe who kindly let me stand in his fan for about 20 minutes.  Turns out, he was originally from Boston (one of my to-visit places) and had lived in Louisville for a time.

Welcome to Universal Studios!

Lombard's Landing

Next, I headed past the Hard Rock Café and on to Islands of Adventure.  Here is where I planned on spending most of my time.  Since I wanted to spend the most time in Seuss Landing, I started with the opposite side and walked all the way around Islands of Adventure.  By the time I got to Toon Landing, I was so hot and tired that I seriously considered going home.  I finally got cooled off in Jurassic Park and spent some time in the A/C with my feet propped up at a table.  I was most excited to see the next section, Harry Potter, but by the time I made it around to that part I was REALLY overheated and had to stop at Three Broomsticks for some butterbeer and strawberry-peanut butter ice cream.  That did the trick for me.  

This is what I was thinking in Toon Landing
Hogwarts 

Seuss Landing was my last stop at Islands of Adventure.  Since I’m doing my classroom in Dr. Seuss this year, I took tons of pictures and bought tons of souvenirs.  I loved walking through the truffula trees and seeing the Lorax.  I think he’s my favorite, next to the Grinch.  I also rode on this train that takes you above Seuss Landing so you can see everything clearly.  I didn’t take pictures from here, but enjoyed the experience all the same.

Neat eating place
Awesome gift shop
 The afternoon was well-spent at Universal Studios (other than getting too hot).  Not only did I buy some things for my classroom, but I got several Christmas & birthday presents bought.  I left Universal at around 7:00pm and headed to my hotel by the airport.  I stopped at Panera Bread for supper (if I wasn’t so exhausted I would’ve went back to Joe’s Crab Shack).  I spent the evening trying to reconfigure my suitcase to fit all my purchases and headed to bed early…4:00am was going to come around very quick.

No comments:

Post a Comment