Tuesday, July 26, 2011

IU Med Center

I know I was just at IU Med Center when my papaw was diagnosed with Leukemia.  He passed away in January, and at that time I never dreamed I'd be back at IU Med in July for another grandparent.

My Grandma Sutton first got sick at the end of May.  At first, she had flu-like symptoms, then she lost vision in her left eye (her good eye, in her words).  After a CAT scan and MRI, it was determined she had severely blocked sinusesShe had those blown out and was told her vision could return within 6 months.  Anyone who knows my grandma knows that she is not a good patient, and she's not patient one bit.  Give her a pill or shot that fixes the problem, and she's good.  Tell her to wait 6 months and see???  Forget it.

She started having breathing problems after her blow-out procedure.  My Aunt Susie was visiting her one day and Grandma couldn't catch her breath.  So off to the ER they went.  Grandma was at Jasper Memorial Hospital for a week.  She had tests and procedures done to try to determine what was causing her breathing problems and loss of vision.  The doctors finally decided on a diagnosis of Wegener's granulomatosis, which can also effect the kidneys as well as lungs and eyes.  Unfortunately, Jasper couldn't perform more specialized testing, so off in the ambulance she went to IU Med Center

I thought I'd be a little nervous and apprehensive visiting the place where my grandfather passed away not hardly 6 months ago.  I was pleasantly surprised to find that I wasn't nervous or apprehensive at all!  It was nice to already be familiar with the area and layout of the hospital.  I drove up on a Saturday afternoon to visit Grandma, and got to spend the night with my mom's cousin, Debby.  She had the most beautiful flower arrangement waiting for me, and her dog Charlie Brown was excited to see me again. 



Grandma came home on the following Tuesday.  She's able to take her treatments in pill form at home, and most of her doctor's appointments will be in Evansville or Jasper.  Thank goodness her condition is treatable and, after a few weeks in the hospital, her spirits are beginning to soar. 


No comments:

Post a Comment